Biology Program Requirements for Graduation
In addition to the college-wide distribution and First-Year Seminar requirements, biology majors must complete a senior project of original scientific research and courses satisfying the core, elective and seminar components of the biology major described below.
Before moderation a student should have taken at least one one-hundred level biology course, Principles of Chemistry I & II and either Eukaryotic Genetics, or Ecology and Evolution, or their equivalents.
- At least one semester of a 100-level biology course numbered above 140. Students typically take these courses during their first year.
- Biology 201, Eukaryotic Genetics and Biology 202, Ecology and Evolution. Students typically take these courses during their second year.
- Biology 144, Biostatistics. Students typically take this course in their second or third year.
- Principles of Chemistry I and II. Students typically take these courses in their first year.
Biology Seminar Series
- A minimum of 8 credits in biology laboratory courses at the 300-level or greater.
- A minimum of 4 credits in 400-level courses. All 400-level courses require students to read and present the primary literature.
The 1-credit Biology Seminar course is offered every semester. All Biology majors must take the course for credit at least twice before graduation.