Many students in biology spend a summer, typically in the junior year, participating in biology research somewhere other than Bard. Below is a list of useful sites for finding summer research positions.
Posting boards and Link aggregators:
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) programs:
- NIH Summer Internship Programs, various institutions:
- Leadership Alliance, summer research at partner institutions: https://www.theleadershipalliance.org
- Cornell’s website has a comprehensive list of other summer research programs
- Texas A&M Wildlife job boards
Biomedical research (updated fall 2018):
- Mayo Clinic SURF. Deadline: February 1st
- Mayo Clinic Summer Lab Science (for students interested in working in labs that process clinical samples).
- MIT Biology and Brain and Cognitive Sciences Summer program.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Undergraduate Research Program.
- Keck Graduate Institute SURE program
- Merck Summer Internships
- University of Minnesota Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Program
- University of Wisconsin Integrated Biological Sciences Summer Program.
- University of Nebraska Medical Center SURP
- Links from MBB Harvard
- Pathways to science
- NIH post-bac programs (keep an eye on whether the US citizenship is required)
- NYU Neuroscience Institute
Ecology, wildlife, and conservation (updated fall 2018):
- REU’s: https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp
- Conservation Biology jobs: http://careers.conbio.org/jobs/
- Bird Jobs: https://www.osnabirds.org/Jobs.aspx
- Wildlife Jobs: http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/
- Student Conservation Association for paid and unpaid internships: http://www.thesca.org
- Ecological jobs: http://www.eco.org
- ECOLOG: https://listserv.umd.edu/archives/ecolog-l.html
Neuroscience internships (updated fall 2019):
Adapted from a list by Carlos Aizenman, Brown U. (Original link)
- Columbia University STAR-U, NY – Summer of Translational Aging Research for Undergraduates, 10 Week Program
- University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC): Ten week Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) focused on cardiovascular research
- WUSTL ENDURE: Washington University St. Louis summer neuroscience
- Undergraduate Research Program at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory: Many options of labs, several of them neuroscience.
- HHMI Undergraduate Scholars Program: Neuroscience research at the Janelia campus. Only for advanced undergraduates
- SPUR Programs at UCLA: Various sub programs focusing on various topics, usually 10 weeks summer
- BDBS Summer Program at Tufts
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program in Molecular and Developmental Neurobiology, Rutgers university, 10 weeks, summer.
- Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia Research Institute Summer Scholars Program
- UPenn Summer Undergraduate Internship Program: designed to provide an intense research experience to students interested in graduate study in the biomedical sciences.
- SURE at University at Buffalo: Intended for students thinking about PhD program, not for premeds.
- CLIMB UP at University at Buffalo: Career development and summer research tailored to each student.
- Neuro links from rit.edu . Check their main page also.
Job sites and databases:
- Rockefeller U jobs
Conservation Job Board: https://www.conservationjobboard.com/
EcoEmploy (you can search by state and it will give you a big list of companies/agencies/non profits): http://www.ecoemploy.com/